On the grounds of ancient Pictish forts, where druids once met and where the footsteps of Robert the Bruce, Mary Queen of Scots, General Mackay and the Earl of Marr once fell, there now lies one of the finest inland golf courses in Scotland.
With sweeping views down the Tummel Valley and in the shadow of the Ben Y Vrackie, the course has been entertaining visitors and members for over one hundred years. The course was laid out in 1908 by the renowned golf architect, Willie Fernie of Troon, opened in 1909, and later modernised by Major Cecil Hutcheson.
It has been played by the likes of Harry Vardon, Walter Hagen, Max Faulkner, Bob Charles and Pitlochry’s own Ryder Cup player John Panton. Pitlochry can also lay claim to having Walker Cup player Cecil Bloice and founder member of the Ladies European Tour Cathy Panton-Lewis as honorary members.
In 1909 the club founded the Highland Amateur Open Tournament, which is held annually in August. For a century it has attracted Scotland’s leading players and is still remembered for the 1919 final, where our first Walker Cup captain, W.B. Torrance, defeated “The Silver Scot” Tommy Armour who went on to become Open Champion on both sides of the Atlantic.